Dr David Horobin,
Practice Business and Development Manager
This new and important post is suitable for an experienced person of graduate level.
Excellent interpersonal, computer and numerical skills are essential.
A background in the financial services sector or previous management experience would be an advantage.
The post holder will work in close cooperation with the existing Clinical Manager, who supervises all clinical matters and staff.
The Chapel Road Orthodontic Practice, Bexleyheath was founded 20 years ago.
It is the main source of Orthodontic treatment, both Private and NHS, in the London Borough of Bexley. Each year we receive over 1,500 referrals from surrounding dentists and start around 500 treatment cases.
We have a staff of 16 (mostly part time), including 3 Orthodontists, a Clinical Manager, 3 Receptionists, 7 nurses and 2 secretarial staff.
Recent years have seen a major shift of emphasis from mostly NHS to a mixture of private and NHS treatment. The proportion of private patients is increasing.
The practice has ambitious plans for modernisation and expansion, which will include a considerable increase in the emphasis on private work.
New, larger, purpose built premises are expected to open in spring 2010.
This new post has been created, to assist the practice in its development and to take over many of the administrative and financial tasks currently undertaken by other members of staff.
The practice Business Manager will ensure that all non-clinical aspects of the practice i.e. the business of dentistry, is managed so that the practice owner is free to concentrate on clinical issues and overall strategy.
The practical role of the Practice Business Manager can be divided into six main areas
– General Management
– Health and Safety Management
– IT & Technology Management
– Human Resource Management
– Financial Management
– Physical Resource Management
– Marketing Services & Sales Management
– Strategic Planning
The duties of the Business Manager will include:-
- Practice Finance, including day-to-day accounting and wages.
- Financial Planning and reporting
- Prepare monthly spreadsheets and financial information, including Key Performance Indicators, and present to Dr Horobin monthly
- Liaising with Accountant, Bank, Insurers and Solicitors
- Supervising the Business Development of the practice.
- Practice Organisation
- 90 day reviews of planning and achieving (preferably held away from the practice)
- Review and develop current brand standards
- Produce and maintain the Practice Operating Manual
- Estate Management – including maintenance, security and upgrading
- Human Resources – “Hiring and Firing”, appraisal interviews
- Organise and chair staff meetings
- Planning and organization of staff training days and outings
- Compliance with Health and Safety, Employment, and other regulations
- Marketing – external and internal – and strategic planning
- Prepare marketing material – welcome pack, business cards, thank you cards, end of treatment letters, newsletters
- Management of the practice’s NHS contract and liaison with the PCT
- IT and Technology management
Flexibility and initiative is important and it is not above the Business Manager to “muck in” and change a light bulb if required.
A useful resource is the British Dental Practice Managers Association web site at www.bdpma.org.uk
The person suitable for this position must have a great deal of enthusiasm and flexibility and realise that the job description is an outline of a position which is new and evolving. The outline of the job will change as the practice develops.
The key words for those accepting this challenge are ‘honesty’, ‘reliability’, ‘drive’, ‘energy’, ‘flexibility’, ‘spreadsheets’, ‘change’, ’attitude’, ‘integrity’ – all of which will be necessary.
No prior experience of Dentistry is required.
You must be willing to take part and train staff in role play, have high levels of self esteem and low levels of sickness, be willing to undergo external training, be able to lead and motivate a first class practice team.
Communication with staff, referrers, patients and support networks is essential and you must therefore be an articulate and effective communicator and professional in dealing with these groups in order to represent our practice.
An attractive remuneration will comprise a good basic salary and profit share.
Anticipated salary – Â£30,000 plus profit share (presently circa Â£15 — 20 K)
Total on Target Earnings Â£45 — 50KÂ