I finished the New York marathon in 2011 so exhausted that I hired a rickshaw owner to take me back to my hotel – this gave me the opportunity to realise just how hard these people work.
I meet many small business owners (dentistry included) who find a variety of reasons to ride their own rickshaw.
Here are some common explanations for that:
- I haven’t got the money to hire riders
- I can’t find decent riders – they are mostly lazy
- My riders aren’t as fast as I am
- I can’t trust a rider to know the route as well as I do
- My passengers expect me at the front and if they don’t see me they will look elsewhere
- I know more about rickshaws than anyone
- The bank own the rickshaw and I have to keep paying them
- I’m fascinated by rickshaws
Chatting to a client the other day.
He told me that he was signing up for a digital marketing course because he wanted to learn all about Facebook marketing and had lost confidence in his existing marketing agency.
I asked him to call me when he has become a certified digital marketer – and I would pay him £15 an hour to freelance for me.
He told me to get lost because he makes £450 an hour as a dentist.
Is it me?