Every week I am asked “how can I motivate my associates to generate more private sales?”
You cannot, of course, motivate people.
You can only create environments in which motivated people perform.
A motivated associate is one who either wants to become a better dentist (either all the scout badges for clinical dentistry or an area of specialisation) and/or wants more money (for a specific reason – house purchase, marriage, post-graduate fees, property portfolio, school fees, their own practice, a bigger toy).
There are three vital ingredients for success, once the motivation has appeared.
P – Personality.
The successful sales person has a personality that is dominated by a genuine interest in others and the ability to communicate with princes and paupers. They are able to balance self-obsession with else-obsession.
S – System.
That successful sales person is following a systematic approach:
- to finding new people to talk to – a marketing system
- to listening empathetically to them – a communication system
- to making confident recommendations – a presentation system
- to managing treatment plans not yet taken up – a pipeline system
- to delivering great dentistry – a clinical system
- to managing the patient relationship over the long term, up-selling further treatment and asking for referrals – a nurture system
D – Drive.
The successful sales person is unstoppable, relentless, indestructible – driven to keep going, no matter how painful, until they achieve break-through.
When you combine motivation with P+S+D, you have success.