If you are not in ethical sales.
- make yourself an indispensable member of the team;
- go the extra mile;
- start early;
- stay late;
- show initiative;
- don’t be FOMM (frightened of making a mistake);
- be an ambassador for the business;
- don’t take part in the well-poisoner’s gossip – walk away;
- be friendly but don’t need friends;
- light up the room when you walk in.
When you have completed the above list for a minimum period of 3-6 months, then, ask your boss for a conversation.
“Currently I am earning £x, I would like to earn £y by Z date.
Please map out for me exactly what you would like me to do differently to achieve that.”
Then listen. If your boss agrees a plan, execute the plan. If not, find a new boss.
How not to get a pay rise.
- BMW (bitch, moan and whine) about your wages;
- work to rule until you get a pay rise;
- tell people that you are not doing something “because it’s not my job” or “because they don’t pay me enough to do that.”
- partake in the gossip;
- try to make everyone your friend;
- ask for overtime;
- do exactly what it says on your job description and no more.
How to get a pay rise if you are in ethical sales.