The avid reader of this blog will know that my accountant for over 15 years, Nigel Bottomley, passed away in May this year – and left a gap in my life, not only of talented and caring advice but friendship as well.
Replacing Nigel (if there can be such a thing) has been a challenge to say the least.
The “problem” (with me) is that it’s all about relationships and personality.
What was I looking for?
- Somebody who took a genuine interest in me as a person;
- Somebody who knew how to listen empathetically at a first meeting;
- Somebody who was not judgmental about some of the stupid decisions I have made over the years;
- Somebody who understood theÂ psycheÂ of a small businessÂ entrepreneur;
- Somebody who “got it” really quickly;
- Somebody who said “no problem, leave it with me, I’ll get it sorted”;
- Somebody I would happily go out for a pint with;
- Somebody who knew about accountancy.
Well, after 3 months and some dreadful blind alleys – I have found him.
Yesterday’s meeting started in Starbucks, St Ann’s Square, Manchester – and was interrupted after 30 minutes by a fire alarm and evacuation – so we popped over to Pret a Manger on Cross Street and finished there.
I knew in the first 5 minutes I had found the right person.
A key player in my “personal board of directors” has been restored – and I’m feeling very much happier and more confident as a result.
I wonder what the list would be for your clients/patients if they were asked to prioritise their key requirements from you?
Very similar I suspect – its not about the technical skill – its about the relationship.
Chris Barrow has been active as a consultant, trainer and coach to the UK dental profession for over 20 years. As a writer, his blog enjoys a strong following and he is a regular contributor to the dental press. Naturally direct, assertive and determined, he has the ability to reach conclusions quickly, as well as the sharp reflexes and lightness of touch to innovate, change tack and push boundaries. In 2014 he appeared as a “castaway” in the first season of the popular reality TV show “The Island with Bear Grylls”. His main professional focus is as Coach Barrow, providing coaching and mentorship to independent dentistry.