The avid reader of this blog will know that my accountant for over 15 years, Nigel Bottomley, passed away in May this year – and left a gap in my life, not only of talented and caring advice but friendship as well.
Replacing Nigel (if there can be such a thing) has been a challenge to say the least.
The “problem” (with me) is that it’s all about relationships and personality.
What was I looking for?
- Somebody who took a genuine interest in me as a person;
- Somebody who knew how to listen empathetically at a first meeting;
- Somebody who was not judgmental about some of the stupid decisions I have made over the years;
- Somebody who understood theÂ psycheÂ of a small businessÂ entrepreneur;
- Somebody who “got it” really quickly;
- Somebody who said “no problem, leave it with me, I’ll get it sorted”;
- Somebody I would happily go out for a pint with;
- Somebody who knew about accountancy.