I’ve recently been reviewing some client data that proves you can double the average daily production of a Principal over a 36-month period.
To be specific, from £1,500 per day to £3,000 per day in a general dental practice that markets direct to the public.
I said Principal, not dentist – because it’s the Principals that have the skin in the game.
I said 36-months, not 3 months – because it takes time to evolve new ways of delivering high-quality dentistry that is both appropriate and affordable.
Of course, you want to ask “how did the Principal do that?”
The answer is that the whole team did it by making marginal improvements in multiple areas of the business:
- accurate financial reporting and regular analysis;
- annual price reviews;
- perfectly deployed internal marketing systems (note the word internal – the client has significantly reduced their spend on external marketing);
- a superb front of house experience;
- internal promotion of a treatment co-ordinator who has slowly progressed from part-time to almost full-time in the role;
- regular monitoring of new patient conversion stats;
- ensuring that every aspect of the patient experience is regularly checked to make sure that it is remark-able;
- the adoption of a complete digital dental work-flow;
- extensive post-graduate education;
- the evolution of a championship team;
- regular personal progress interviews with all team members;
- a major improvement in compliance systems;
- the re-allocation of preventative maintenance primarily to other clinicians in the practice;
- daily huddles and a focus on the end of treatment review with patients
In the same timescale, the production of the other fee-earners in the practice has been above average and consistent – that really is the best result you can aim for.
Marginal gains – I’ve mentioned this before in the blog and I’m seeing more and more evidence around my client base of slow and steady growth.
We spend so much time facing forward when business planning that it can be very satisfying to occasionally look back and see how far we have come.
If I could show you the way to double your production in the next 36 months, would you be interested?