There never will be enough – so make sure you use what you have sensibly.
You might think from the comments above that I regard “everyone else” as an enemy.
Not so – I have worked with many women in business who have been assisted by a loyal team of wonderful men and women.
The Corporate Americans have a saying that “it’s not the people that you fire who drag you down – it’s the people who you don’t fire.”
So my people tactics are very simple:
- Realise that 80% of your time should be invested in your unique abilities and 20% leading your managers
- Delegate EVERYTHING that is not your unique ability (remember Mrs. Doubtfire)
- Pay the best wages for the best people in your management team
- Tolerate NOTHING about other people’s performance and behaviour – get rid
- Recognise that there are no prizes for doing everything yourself
- Meet with your managers weekly for Personal Progress Interviews (PPI’s) and quarterly with your team
- Meet with your business coach monthly to review progress,
- Hire a personal coach once a year for a reality check
- Meet with one or more of your soul-mates every quarter
- Delegate, delegate, delegate to internal and external teams.
*An excerpt from The Female Principal manuscript by Chris Barrow – to be published as an ebook later in 2014